Monday, August 30, 2010

Self Appointed College Projects

It seems strange that we don't challenge ourselves the way that we were challenged in college. I loved school (with the exception of late night studying for tests in classes that I thought were irrelevant to the big picture of my existence). I enjoyed learning new things and filling them way back in the dusty corners of my brain only to be brought back out for useless trivia later in life.

I wasn't thrilled with getting assignments that made me uncomfortable or took time out of my daily dance, sleep, drive, sleep, dance routine but I always had a sense of pride after the completion of them (I would equate it to running a marathon... the training sucks but once you finish your hand pats your own back).

To that, I've decided that I'm going to proactively assign myself college projects. The fun creative type that you wouldn't do on an average day because it typically feels like a waste of time. However, although uncomfortable and at first glance feels like a waste of time, you can learn so much about yourself if you open up to projects.

I remember when I took a couple of poetry classes in college; each one offered interesting assignments. One time, we had to look for our favorite words in various magazines and make them work in a series of writing assignments within topics that felt simple and sweet.

I've successfully began the painful beginnings of existing in a 'beginner' space on Friday when I started playing piano.

My next project is to take my new found love of photography and explode it on to the walls of my bedroom. Steven and I took some pretty kick-ass pictures from a recent trip to Napa Valley/Santa Cruz. Stevo's and my bedroom is going to look like a sea foam ocean spray party.

Here's to self appointed college projects.

In Joy.

No comments: